11 September 2016

The HeroQuest Hero Quest: The Chaos Warrior

Following on from our last installment of The HeroQuest Hero Quest


HeroQuest Chaos Warior


When the idea to paint the HQ models was discussed I was keen to paint one up but I immediately knew that a "Hero" or murderhobo as I tend to view them is not exactly something that is in my general oeuvre.   Once the murderhobos were claimed by the various Creeps I was quick to stake my claim for the Chaos Warrior.


Chaos Warrior Stats from HeroQuest - Of course I did, the UK one is $%&+.




The chaos warrior, an iconic symbol of GW.  This is one of the most excellent images or our HeroQuest style chaos warrior (art from Advanced HeroQuest, by Adrian Smith), it expresses their raw power and menace beautifully. 



Slambo lives up to his name by hitting henchmen hard enough to embed them in dungeon walls.



Designing the Chaos Warior


With the technology of the time there were serious design constraints to contend with
The Chaos Warrior model was developed from a Chaos Warrior prototype.  I assume this was made by Jes Goodwin, but I don't know for sure.

HeroQuest Chaos Warrior prototype featured in White Dwarf painted by Mike McVey


The prototype is very reminiscent of the classic Slambo Chaos Warrior mini, this one is the best example of which I have found painted.


Slambo painted by JiNNai
  
The final design is more stylized and graphical, created with organic curves that improve the overall aesthetic balance.  The design has also become a bit statue like with some weird overlong overhangs as a result of positioning the elements in a tolerance to the manufacturing process.


There is also this variant of the production HeroQuest plastics who could be the brother of our warrior..but he is a project for another day :).

Separated at birth?
 


Painting the Chaos Warior


Overall I feel that our chaos warrior is a pretty decent realisation of the prototype design.  So let's prove it with some painting!


When painting this antique I duly adhered to the constraints: 
  • Paint one of the models from Heroquest  
  • Dont muck around with it too much, a reinterpretation isnt what is desired, just a new paint job on an old model  
  • Rebasing is allowed 

HeroQuest Chaos Warrior

I opted to liberate this fellow from his base, I am not a fan of those myself but they can be made to look groovy in the right hands.  I wanted to give the model a bit more dynamism by changing the centre line on the model to the right by having him standing on a sloped base.  He is a wide stanced lad so I stuck him on a 30mm diameter base.


Mushrooms made from GS


I figure on using this old boy as my avatar in future games of Silver Tower, I wanted him to be as vaingloriously attention mongering as the best murderhobo.  I gave him a soapbox level of height for that purpose.  

I sculpted in some mushrooms as I imagine him posing on rocks in dungeons/caves/orphanages looking to pwn noobz for lewt and XP's.

Single handedly bringing the chainmail mini skirt back into fashion.


One unusual feature of the sculpt is that the helmet is actually directly connected to the shoulder pads in a feature reminiscent of an M.C. Escher artwork.  The result of this is that our chap would not be able to turn his head.  To help him out I have painted an eyeball on to the middle part of his helmet which also contributes to the general chaosicity and adds some vital comedy value for group games. 

I chose a classic colour scheme with a simple animal print.  The animal print is alluding to a history crusading (AKA organised murderhoboing).

So to finish up, I am tagging in our buddy AirborneGrove from http://givemlead.blogspot.ie/ in as he has kindly agreed to paint up one of the HeroQuest models in his wonderfully unique style.  We look forward to seeing what he comes up with.




17 comments:

  1. What a glorious paintjob, you're setting a new standard gor this guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blue on the armour is particularly lovely and the eye is a laugh.

    The base isnt what I would go for, but that's just a matter of taste.

    I'm looking forward to exploring a dungeon or three with that guy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is destined for some lewting of the Silver Tower soon. ;)

      Delete
  3. Whoa you have set the bar high with that one! I better get to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom :), I have no doubt you can step up and deliver.

      Delete
  4. Excellent! Love the eye...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so great. I've been struggling with these models for ages and never got to make them work, so my total admiration. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber.

      I think that painting them as individual models is much easier than trying to paint a group of them
      at once.

      If I tried to paint a lot of the HeroQuest models at the same time I don't think I would produce as nice an individual paint job on any of them as I would be wanting to finish them too quickly. I really took my time on this guy.

      Delete
  6. A fantastic rendition of the HQ chaos warrior, probably my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great paintjob on that classic mini, always liked that version of the CW, not to spikey but still menacing.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darren. He is all about the menacing of people. :)

      Delete
  8. He looks lovely. The different animal prints on his glove and boot are fun touches and that eye is all sorts of appropriate Chaos-whack-job.

    I've had one of these in my paint queue for about 4 years now after I found it in an old tin of forgotten minis. (Wish I'd kept the whole bloody game....) Too scared I'd mess up his feets to cut off his plastic base as they are sculpted so flat! Might get to painting him soon though after seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all the detailed touches - the eye, the animal prints. That's a mighty fine refreshing of a venerable placcy figure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are definitely the best plastic chaos warriors ever made by GW and one of my favourite all time models - high praise for a wee bit of plastic ;) you've done the old sculpt proud Mr Otto, bravo!

    ReplyDelete